- 1 kg lamb shoulder, neck fillet or leg, cut into 2½ cm cubes
- 2 tablesp. rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2½ cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teasp. garam masala
- 1 teasp. ground cumin
- 1 teasp. ground coriander
- ½ teasp. cardamom seeds, crushed
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 level tablesp. flour
- 200g baby spinach leaves
- 125g natural yoghurt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan, season the lamb and brown for 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add the onion, garlic, ginger and spices to the same saucepan and cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle on the flour, stir for 1 minute, then add 250ml water. Stir again, then return the meat to the pan with the bay leaf.
Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 1½ hours. Remove from the heat and add the spinach. Stir until wilted.
Add the yogurt and adjust the seasoning.
Serve with basmati rice and a tomato and red onion salad.